Sri Krishna Jayanti, birthday of Lord Krishsna, in 2014 date based on calendars followed in India. Sri Krishna Jayanti celebrates the birthday of Lord Krishna. In 2014, the date of Sri Krishna Jayanti in West and Southern parts of
India is on August 17. In North India it is on August 18. It is observed as Dahi Handi in Maharashtra, the formation of the huge human pyramids to break the pot hung high up. The festival is also known as Gokulashtami and Krishnashtami.
Sri Krishna Jayanti 2014 in Different Parts of India
- Sri Krishna Jayanti - on August 17 day and midnight in Maharashtra, Karnataka, Andhra Pradesh, Kerala, Tamil Nadu, Orissa and eastern parts of India.
- Krishna Janmashtami Mahotsav - August 18 midnight from 11:30 PM onwards in North India and Gujarat Dwarakadish Temple.
- Janmashtami Vrat is on August 17 in North India
- Ashtami Rohini - September 15 in Kerala
- Dahi Handi and Gopalakala in Maharashtra - August 18
- Vittal Pindi at Udupi Sri Krishna Temple - August 18
- Kalo in Goa - August 18
In North India, Shri Krishna Janmashtami is observed eight days after the full moon day in Hindi month Bhadrapada (August – September). In
South India, the festival is observed on the eighth day after full moon in the month of Shravan (August – September).
The Sri Krishna Jayanti festival is not celebrated on the same day in all parts of
and this is due to the various regional calendars and the various calculations in the time of the birth of Krishna. India
Special pujas are held in Sri Krishna Temples spread around the world and millions of people visit the shrines. Special poojas and rituals are held at midnight the time of
Krishna devotees fast on the day. It is a 24-hour fast.
You may also like to read