Sri Krishna Jayanti in 2013 date based on calendars followed in India. Sri Krishna Jayanti celebrates the birthday of Lord Krishna. In 2013, the date of Sri Krishna Jayanti in
India is on August 28. It is observed as Dahi Handi in Maharashtra, the formation of the huge human pyramids to break the pot hung high up. The festival is also known as Gokulashtami and Krishnashtami.
Sri Krishna Jayanti 2013 in Different Parts of India
- Sri Krishna Jayanti - on August 28 day and midnight in Maharashtra, Karnataka, Andhra Pradesh, Kerala, Tamil Nadu, Orissa and eastern parts of India.
- Krishna Janmashtami Mahotsav - August 28 midnight from 11:30 PM onwards in North India and Gujarat Dwarakadish Temple.
- Janmashtami Vrat is on August 28 in North India
- Ashtami Rohini - August 28 in Kerala
- Dahi Handi and Gopalakala in Maharashtra - August 29
- Vittal Pindi at Udupi Sri Krishna Temple - August 29
- Kalo in Goa - August 29
In North India, Shri Krishna Janmashtami is observed eight days after the full moon day in Hindi month Bhadrapada (August – September). In
South India, the festival is observed on the eighth day after full moon in the month of Shravan (August – September).
The Sri Krishna Jayanti festival is not celebrated on the same day in all parts of
and this is due to the various regional calendars and the various calculations in the time of the birth of Krishna. India
In 2011, Sri Krishna Jayanti is marked on August 21 in Kerala, Tamil Nadu, and is some parts of Karnataka,
Maharashtra and Andhra Pradesh. In North India, it is marked on August 22. The Smarta Tradition observes the festival on August 21 and the Vaishnava Tradition on August 22.
Special pujas are held in Sri Krishna Temples spread around the world and millions of people visit the shrines. Special poojas and rituals are held at midnight the time of
Krishna devotees fast on the day. It is a 24-hour fast.
You may also like to read