--> Skip to main content

Ernakulam Hanuman Kovil – Rama Navami Festival – History

Ernakulam Hanuman Kovil is located near the famous Ernakulam Shiva temple in Ernakulam town, Kerala. The temple is dedicated to Anjaneya or Hanuman. The Rama Navami festival in Malayalam Meenam month (March – April) is of great importance in the temple.

The first Maha Kumbhabhishekam in the temple was held on the Sri Rama Navami day in 1991 CE. Thus Sri Ramanavami is an important festival in the temple. Ashtabandha Maha Kumbhabhishekam took place during Shree Rama Navami festival in 2003 CE. The last Maha Kumbhabhishekam took place during Rama Navami festival in 2015.

Maha Kumbhabhishekam is held once in 12 years in many Hindu temples.

Ratha or chariot is taken around the temple during the Sri Ramanavami festival – Pallakku and Ratha Seva.

Nagaraja prathishta is offered special pujas and rituals on Ayilyam day along with abhishekams.

The temple has a square sanctum sanctorum, kodimaram, mukha mandapam, Vimana Gopuram, gopuram and Bhajan hall. The upa devatas worshipped in the temple are Nagaraja and Raghavendra Swamiji of Brindavan.

The temple also observes Durga Puja, Nag Panchami Puja, Vasantha Dwadashi, Tulsi Puja and Vinayaka Chathurthi.

History Of Ernakulam Hanuman Kovil

Sri Venkat Rao, Dewan of erstwhile Cochin state from 1856 to 1860 AD under the then Maharaja Ravi Varma, located and unearthed the present Hanuman murti worshipped in the temple and ritually worshipped the same in his house. Realising that the proper and ideal place for installing the Vigraha was a temple, he requested the Highness to allot suitable land for the same. The gracious king did gift the present 22 cents of land on the eastern side of the famous Siva temple (Ernakulathappan) in Ernakulam in the year 1857.

The murti was consecrated by his Holiness Vishwapriya Theertha Swamiji (1776-1865) popularly known as Vrindavana Acharya of Udupi Sode Vadiraja Mutt, at the instance of Dewan Venkat Rao. The above incident inscribed in Sanskrit on a granite block can still be seen in front of the temple.