--> Skip to main content


Payyannur Sree Subrahmanya Swami Temple - History - Festival

Payyannur Sree Subrahmanya Swami Temple is located in Kannur district, Kerala. The 14-day annual festival begins on Vrischika Sankramam (November 16).

The annual festival in the temple does not follow any of the rules followed in other temples in Kerala. There is no flag hoisting or kodiyettam for the festival. Elephants are not allowed in the temple. The festival is also referred to as Samaradhana.

The main deity worshipped in the temple is Subrahmanya Swami. The original Pratishta in the temple was performed by Parashurama. The deity is nearly 6 feet tall and the two storied sanctum sanctorum is a Gaja Prishta Kovil – backside of an elephant.

The main deity faces east. The Upa Devatas in the temple are Parashurama, Ganapathy, Sastha, Bhoothathan and Kanya Bhagavathy. In the gopuram in western side of the temple there is namaskara sthanam for Kshetrapalaka who arrived from Kodungallur.

This temple is part of the 32 Brahmin villages in Kerala. Payyannur was the northern most Brahmin village in ancient Kerala.

The huge temple complex is spread over an area of 3 acres and 47 cents.

The army of Tipu Sultan had looted and burned down the temple. In April 1789 the gold thazhika and copper items from the temple was stolen by the army of Tipu Sultan as per Payyanur Patola.

In 1792, the ash and other broken items were removed and a small temple with coconut palm leaves was constructed by Thazhekattu Mana. In 1813, the present temple was constructed by an antharjanam of the Thazhekattu Mana.

The present murti was consecrated in the temple in 1838 CE.




Read More From Hindu Blog