--> Skip to main content


Triprayar Temple History And Unknown Facts

A look at the history of famous Triprayar Sri Rama Temple in Kerala along with some unknown facts. 

Triprayar Temple located between two important religious centers in Kerala, Guruvayur and Kodungallur. The temple is around 22 km from Thrissur.

Triprayar Temple History And Unknown Facts

This is the most famous Sri Rama Temple in Kerala.

The temple is located on the banks of Theevra Nadi (river).

The belief is that the form of Sri Rama in the temple is that of one protecting entire nature after killing Ravana in the Ramayana.

There is also a belief that the murti form in the temple is one of Mahavishnu that appeared before demon Khara in the Ramayana and gave him moksha.

It is believed that the murti in Triprayar temple was found in the sea by fishermen. The fishermen found four murtis that of Sri Rama, Bharata, Lakshmana and Shatrughna. The fishermen gave the murti to Vakhayil Kaimal who was the minister of Ayiroor Kovilakam. He installed the four murtis at Triprayar, Moozhikulam, Irinjalakuda and Payammal.

The main murti of Sri Rama is carved out of stone. A panchaloha coat covers the stone vigraha.

The army of Tipu Sultan had cut the main murti into three pieces. The pieces have been fixed using metal (golakal).

The murti is four armed and holds Conch, Sudarshana Chakra, Mace and Akshamala.

The prathishta dinam or annual murti consecration day is observed on the Atham nakshatram in Edavam month as per traditional Malayalam calendar in Kerala.

The temple has a small cement compound wall on the east side bordering Theevra River. The compound wall in the west and south side is big. Oottupura is on the north side of the temple. The gopuram is on the northside. There is a nadapura and small Ayyappa temple between the river and the main temple. A Sree Krishna temple along with goshala is located on the north side. The temple also has chuttambalam, mukha mandapam, and a balikalu which is slight away from the front side of the sanctum sanctorum. The temple has a gold plated Thazhikakudam and the roof of round sreekovil is covered with copper (chembu).

As per history, Triprayar was a Namboothiri village (upagramam). The temple belonged to 42 Illams. 39 of these 42 Illams perished during the course of time. The temple then became under the control of Cheloor, Punnappilli and Jnanappalli illams. The three illams had a fight with local ruler (Naduvazhi), Blahayil Nair, in 1825 CE. The temple remained closed due to the fight for six months. The temple later came under the control of Blahayil Nair from 1827 AD to 1841 AD. The temple was returned to the three Illams in 1841 AD. In 1865 AD, the temple came under the control of Cochin royal family.

Two shilashasnakal (stone inscriptions) were found in the temple. One of the inscriptions gives information about Moozhikulam Kacham. Another inscription is about donation of property and things to the temple by Muruknattu Sankaran Kanttapozhan.

The roof of the sanctum sanctorum was covered with copper by the king of Kochi.

It is said that Tipu Sultan had made donation for the vedivazhipadu during the Athazha pooja by giving a piece of farmland. The profit from the farmland was used for Vedivazhipadu. This small farmland is known as Tipu Sarvmanyam.

The paintings on the outer walls of Sreekovil are no longer visible clearly. There are wooden sculptures below the paintings. There are granite sculptures on the sides of the Sopanam structure.

Fish are fed (meenuttu ritual) in the Theevra Nadi on the east side of the temple.

The Krishna Paksha Ekadashi in the Vrischikam month (November – December) is known as Triprayar Ekadashi is the most important festival in the temple. Vedivazhipadu is the most important ritual.

There is no flag post (kodimaram) and hence there is no kodiyettam ritual during festivals in the temple.

Avanangattu Chathan (deity in a nearby temple) is believed to be the son of Triprayar Thevar. When the deity in Triprayar goes to participate in Arattupuzha Pooram, He takes along with Him Avanangattu Chathan.

There is also a belief that Avanangattu Chathan was a deity who traveled along with Triprayar Sri Rama as a helper.

Triprayar Thevar has the prime position in the famous Arattupuzha Pooram in Malayalam Meenam month.

The temple is now governed by Cochin Devaswom Board.

The Upa Devatas worshipped in the temple are Sastha, Ganapathy, Dakshinamurti, Hanuman and Goshala Krishnan.




Read More From Hindu Blog