Varalakshmi puja is a special observance by women and is dedicated to Varamahalakshmi or Goddess Lakshmi. It is believed that she will grant boons to those who observe the puja.
I write this post to address some common doubts that many my sisters have asked me. I thought I will write a post about it in this blog.
Special Prayers or Shlokas to be chanted on Varalakshmi Vratha day
- Lakshmi Ashtotram and Lakshmi Sahasranamam
Food That Can be eaten on Puja day
- Any type of Sundal is eaten on Friday and Saturday evening.
- In some regions, Green Bananas are not cooked.
- Please do not fast (Upvaas), if you are pregnant or are having any disease or are under medications.
Fasting on Varalakshmi Puja day
- Fasting is done from morning till Varalakshmi Puja is over. You can always be flexible – fasting might not be possible if you are working etc.
What if I missed the Varalakshmi Puja?
- If you missed the Varalakshmi Nombu day or failed to observe it, you can do it during the following Friday. Another option is to observe it during a Friday in Navratri.
Varalakshmi Nombu Saradu or thread
- Yellow thread is prepared with nine knots and flower is placed in the center. It is tied on the right hand.
Other important things to remember
- Do not impose the Puja. You should observe it only, if you are really interested. Also do not impose the puja on youngsters.
- If you are observing for the first time, learn it from an experienced woman.
- Unmarried women observe the puja, if their mother is observing it.
- Pregnant women can skip the puja. If you are so inclined you can do it but make sure fasting does not cause any harm. You can do the puja and skip fasting.
- If the puja falls within 22 day of the birth of child, it is considered inappropriate and should not be observed.
You may also like to read