Pancha Brahma is a concept in Hindu tradition and it mentions that Brahman or Supreme Truth took form in five stages. Information about this concept is found in the Krishna Yajur Veda. It is narrated in the Pancha Brahma Upanishad, which is part of the Krishna Yajur Veda.
The five forms are Sathyojatha, Aghora, Vamadeva, Thathpurusha and Ishana.
Sathyojatha – is associated with
- Earth and Sun
- Goddess Lakshmi and Brahma
- Rig Veda
- Household fire
- Yellow color
- Seven notes
- This form provides all that is wished for.
Aghora is associated with
- Water and moon
- Goddess Parvati
- Yajur Veda
- Fire of south
- Fifty letters
- Blue color
- This form destroys all evil
Vamadeva is associated with
- Sama Veda
- White color
- Yajna of fire
- It provides knowledge and destroys sin
Thathpurusha is associated with
- All functions of Brahman or Supreme Truth
- Atharva Veda
- Red color
- It is the basis of all strengths
- This form encompasses all the other four forms. What is heard and seen is this form.
There is another concept of Pancha Braham which states that the five forms are Brahma, Vishnu, Rudra, Ishana and Sadashiva. This is mentioned in the Lalithopakyanam and Brahmana Purana.