Chithirai Thiruvizha is one of the most important annual festivals held at the world famous
Madurai Meenakshi Temple at in Tamil Nadu. In 2013, the date of commencement of Chithirai Thiruvizha is April 14, 2013. Pattabhishekam of Goddess Meenakshi is on April 21. Celestal Wedding or Thirukkalyanam of Lord Sundareswarar with Goddess Meenakshi is on April 23, 2013. The Car festival is on April 24, 2013. The festival is celebrated for 12 days during the Tamil month of Chithirai or Chitirai (April – May). Chithirai Thiruvizha ends on April 25. Madurai
Thikvijayam or the procession of Meenakshi Sundarambal is on April 22, 2013.
The most important rituals associated with the festival are -
- the coronation or Pattabhishekam of Meenakshi Amman on the eighth day,
- procession of Goddess Meenakshi on the ninth day,
- Thirukalyanam or celestial wedding of Goddess Meenakshi and Lord Sundareswarar on the tenth day,
- the car festival on the 11th day and
- the Theertha festival is celebrated on the 12th day with the Lord Shiva and Goddess Parvathi going round Masi streets and blessing the devotees.