Durga Puja is one of the most popular Hindu festivals and is the biggest festival in Bengal and
East India. Durga Puja celebrates the annual visit of Mother Goddess Durga. In Bengal, she is worshipped as Shiva’s consort and is given the warmest welcome a married daughter can receive when she comes home. Traditionally Durga Puja begins on the Mahalaya day in Ashwin month. In 2008, date of Mahalaya is on September 29. Durga Puja rituals and celebrations begin on October 5.
- Durga Puja Shasthi is on October 5, 2008
- Maha Saptami is October 6, 2008.
- Maha Ashtami is on October 7, 2008.
- Navami or Maha Nabami is on October 8, 2008
- Dashami is on October 9, 2008.
On the Shashti day, Kalash is prepared and it is kept in the house and with it begins rituals and celebrations.
The most auspicious day of the Durga Puja festival is the Maha Ashtami and the Maha Navami.