- Speak a little. Speak sweetly. Always utter encouraging words.
- Lead a happy, contented life. Avoid unnecessary worry.
- Be mentally detached.
- Have plain living and high thinking.
- Reduce your wants. If you have four shirts, reduce the number to three or two.
- Think of those who do not possess even one-tenth of what you have. Share with others.
- Do not depend upon servants. Self-reliance is the highest of all virtues.
- Never hurt anybody. Control anger by love, forgiveness and compassion.
- Do not brood over past mistakes.
- Never fail to fulfill your duties.
Swami Sivananda (1887 – 1963)
Source: Excerpts from the teachings of Swami Sivananda.