Varalakshmi Puja, or Varamahalaskhmi Pooja, is observed by women in Karnataka, Tamil Nadu and by some communities in
This is only a general list of things required. The puja requirements vary from region to region.
- Picture or image or idol of Maha Lakshmi.
- A Kalash pot for Purna Kumbha – clay or silver.
- Lamps, bells, agarbathis – usual puja articles.
- Usual decorations for puja.
- Cotton dress for the idol or garlands
- A piece of blouse to cover the idol.
- Threads or Saradu
- Locally available fruits
- Dhruva grass
- Fragrant leaves
- Betel leaves
- Betel nuts
- Banana leaf with tip or a tray
For making ‘Prasad’ or offering - Usually sweets this depends on the person’s ability. There are a lot of varieties of sweets that are made. The preparation begins on Thursday.
If you want to strictly follow all the rules and methods of Varalakshmi Puja, then it is wise to take the advice from an elderly woman who is regularly performing the puja.
Always remember rituals should not be a trap. It should only be a helping step in realizing the ultimate truth. A simple flower offered with devotion is far better than elaborate showy rituals.
You may also like to read