Ekta Kappor’s New Mahabharat Serial titled ‘Kahaani humaaray Mahabharat ki’ now being aired on 9X channels is different in all aspects. It is too different that there is no Mahabharata instead what we have is a potboiler which uses the story of Mahabharat to display flashy costumes – reminding one of Hollywood mythical movies – and weapons straight out of videogames. Everything is trendy and different but without soul and no Mahabharata culture. Total disrespect to ancient Indian culture and lack of proper research is evident in all aspects of the serial.
Don’t even think about comparing Ekta’s New Mahabharat Serial with BR Chopra’s Mahabharat. The Mahabharata of 90s even though unsophisticated was full of innocence but what it lacked in technology it made up with immortal songs and dialogues and performances by the lead actors.
This new version Mahabharata deliberately tries to be different and wants to present something which is fresh and something that the Indians have never seen before. But the producers of the New Mahabharat Serial forgot that Indians do watch
Some of the major issues with Ekta’s New Mahabharat:
- Mahabharata is not Greek mythology or Gladiator or Harry Potter or other Western mythology. Mahabharat is full of life – it deals with human emotions, it deals with everyday problems faced by human beings. It is not costumes or weapons that attract people to Mahabharata but the content – basically how a single flaw in one’s action changes the course of one’s life or the life of a family. That is why Vyasa said there is nothing that is not found in the Mahabharat. Unfortunately, the new Mahabharat has everything but lacks the soul of Mahabharata, which is Sanskar.
- There is no life in the characters. They fail to create a rapport with the audience. Instead of the characters it seem the audience is supposed to appreciate the tattoos, the dress and the make up.
- Pathetic acting by the lead actors – straight out of Sas Bahu serials. Most actors are misfits to the particular roles and one can hardly relate them.
- The use of black colored costumes which is not Indian but a straight lift from western mythology.
- Dialogues are pathetic and what makes them even worse is the way they are uttered.
- Art direction lacks originality often reminds of The Mummy and other related
There will no end to the list, if one were to point out the faults of the Kahaani humaaray Mahabharat ki. Everything in this Mahabharata is ‘paaraya’ and nothing is ‘humaaray.’