Religion is not for the purpose of securing a place in heaven. It is an inquiry into Truth, and its ideal is the knowledge of the realization of the Truth. This true love and non-attachment can be developed gradually by these means:
- By inquiry into the Truth with faith and reverence.
- By patiently bearing the opposites in life, such as pleasure and pain, success and failure.
- By gaining the knowledge of Self through studying the scriptures.
- By taking delight in the company of Truth.
- By overcoming passions through knowledge and discrimination.
- By avoiding the association of the worldly-minded.
- By devotion to spiritual practices.
- By rendering of services to the great souls who have realized the Truth.
- By learning to love solitude.
- By injuring no creature.
- By control of the senses through Pranayama.
- By not speaking against other religions.
- By singing in praises and glory of Divinity.
Source: ‘Timeless Wisdom – The book of All Religions’ by Art of Living Publication