The yamas (ethical restraints) and niyamas (ethical observances) listed in Raja Yoga are important life codes.
The niyamas, or ethical observances, include
- Saucha (maintaining physical and mental purity),
- Santosha (contentment),
- Tapas (austerity),
- Svadhyaya (the study of scriptures and repetition of mantra)
- Isvarpranidana (surrender to God).
The yamas, or ethical restraints, include
- Ahimsa (non-violence),
- Satya (thinking, speaking, acting on the basis of truthfulness),
- Brahmacharya (control and sublimation of sex energy),
- Asteya (non-stealing in both its gross and subtle forms)
- Aparigraha (non-covetousness or non-hoarding of possessions you do not need).
These great yamas and niyamas of Raja Yoga can help a person in developing righteous conduct.
Source: Extracts from the Tattvaloka Magazine ‘Advice to Students’, Yoga Research Foundation.