Bevu Bella is just a simple mixture of fresh neem leaves and unprocessed broken jaggery. It is usually offered as a Prasad on the morning of Ugadi in many temples in Karnataka and Andhra Pradesh. It is also prepared in almost all homes.
- Handful of fresh neem leaves.
- ¼ cup or three spoon broken jaggery
- Clean the neem leaves
- Grind with a little water
- Add jaggery into the mixture.
- Some people to avoid the bitter taste of neem add banana, honey or grated coconut.
Bevu Bella is eaten on empty stomach on the Ugadi day.
Dry Bevu Bella
- Fresh tender neem leaves
- Jaggery proportionate to the number of neem leaves.
- Mix tender leaves and jaggery and serve dry.
Another preparation during Ugadi is the Neem flower pachadi or Veppam poo pachadi.
How to observe Ugadi and Ugadi Panchanga Pooja