Vasant Navratri, also known as Vasant Navratras, begins on
March 21, 2015. This festival of nine nights in Hinduism is dedicated to Goddess Durga, Lakshmi and Saraswati. It is also known as Chaitra Navratras or Spring Navratri or Basant Navratri. As this Navratra coincides with Ram Navami, it also referred as Ram Navratri. The dates are from March 21, 2015 to March 28, 2015.
Vasant Navratri is observed in the Hindu month of Chaitra (March – April). It is believed that Goddess Durga was originally worshipped (Durga Puja) in the Chaitra month and was also referred as Basanti Puja. It was Lord Ram who changed the period of Durga Puja.
Vasant Navratri 2015 dates
- Ghatsthapana – Navratri Day 1 – March 21, 2015
- Sindhara Dooj, Dwitiya - March 22, 2015
- Gaur Teej, Saubhagya Teej, Tritiya - March 22, 2015
- Varadvinayak Chaturthi - March 23, 2015
- Sri Laxmi Panchami Vrat, Naag Vrat Pujan - March 24, 2015
- Skand Shashthi, Yamuna Jayanti - March 25, 2015
- Mahasaptami Vrat, Chaiti Chath, Vijaya Saptami - March 26, 2015
- Sri Durga Mahaashtami, Annapurna Ashtami - March 27, 2015
- Vasant Navratri ends – Ram Navratri Day 9 – March 28, 2015
Lord Ram wanted to get the blessings of Goddess Durga before beginning the war with Ravana. Therefore he invoked Goddess Durga during Ashwin (October – November). This is why the Durga Puja during October is also known as Akal Bodhon or untimely invocation.
The Vasant or Spring Navratri is widely observed in Himachal Pradesh, Uttarakhand (Uttaranchal), Haryana,
Punjab and . Most Hindu devotees in this part of Jammu and Kashmir undertake Navratri Vrat or fasting. The festival occurs during the beginning of summer season. And it is said that the fasting helps in adapting the body to the changing climate. India
Some of the important
fairs in Himachal Pradesh and Uttarakhand are organized during this period. Temple
Almost all the rituals observed during Navratri (held in October-November) are also observed during Vasant Navrati.
One of the important events in Haryana and
Punjab is the worshipping of little girls. These little girls symbolically represent Goddess Durga and are known as ‘kanjaks.’ It is performed on the eight day or the Ashtami day.
Note - The most important Navratri which coincides with the Durga Puja in 2015 begins on October 13 and ends on October 22.