Update: Sabarimala Opening Dates in 2008 (Click on the link for the temple dates in 2008)
- Mandala Pooja Mahotsavam Begins on November 16, 2007 at 1730 hrs
- Mandala Masam or Mandala Kalam begins on November 17, 2007
- Mandala Pooja is on December 26, 2007.
- Temple closes after Mandala Pooja on December 26, 2007 at 2230 hrs.
- Temple re-opens for Makara Vilakku Session on December 30, 2007 at 1730 hrs.
- Makaravilakku is on January 14, 2008. The famous Makarajyothi sighting also will take place on this day.
- Temple closes on January 19, 2008 at 2200 hrs.
The Sabarimala Ayyappa shrine is located in the forests of the Sabari Hills of the
A pilgrim visiting the Sabarimala Ayyappa temple during the Mandalapooja period should observe certain austerities for 41 days. The pilgrim should abstain from non- vegetarian habits, should not indulge in sex and should wear the special Rudraksha mala. Some people don’t shave or cut their hair during the period. Some ardent devotees only wear black or saffron dress and avoid wearing foot wears.
Pilgrims set out in groups and each carry the Irumudikkettu, a cloth bundle containing traditional offerings to the temple which includes coconut, ghee, malar, rice etc.
People of all religions can visit the Sabarimala temple and there is no restriction of caste or creed. But there are certain restrictions on women. Only those women who have either passed their fertility age and those before reaching the stage of puberty are allowed in the shrine.
Free food is provided during the period in
How to observe Sabarimala Mandala Vratham?